Call for Art!"Surrounded By Reality"
Scroll to bottom of page to Submit!
“Surrounded by Reality” – A Curated Exhibition of San Francisco Street Photography at the Harvey Milk Photo Center.
March 20, 2018
March 25, 2018
April 13, 2018 – May 12, 2018
Paul Kantner of the Jefferson Airplane famously described San Francisco as “49 square miles surrounded by reality.” This exhibition, our second at the Harvey Milk Photo Center, will focus on street photography by photographers who are part of the San Francisco Street Photography Group.
People doing whatever it is that they do within the City and County Limits of San Francisco. Random acts of weirdness, coincidence, craziness, and the “decisive moments” that make it so is what we would like to see.
For this particular show, we will be narrowing the scope of imagery allowed. Photos of people participating in scheduled or defined events will not be accepted – (Example: protests, parades, street performers).
Exceptions include onlookers and crowds “watching” such events will be within the “scope” and fully acceptable.
We will also dedicate a singular gallery space to feature “SFSP Photogs In Action“!
On top of your show entries, please send us snapshots of your photographer peers exercising their craft! This can be digital files, instant film photos, etc… Our plan is to cover the alcove wall with images of you and your fellow street photographers executing their craft. Photos of photographers photographing are always fun and are a good spark for conversation.
- You may submit as many images as you’d like.
- Images should only be of others in the San Francisco Street Photography Group.
Entry Guidelines and Requirements
- Deadline for Submissions: March 20, 2018
- Image Uploads Due: March 20, 2018
- Non-refundable Entry Fee: $60 per artist (up to 5 images)
- Includes printing, mounting and hanging for featured prints. Artists’ may pick up artwork at the close of the how.
- Revenue: All profits will be donated to the Harvey Milk Photo Center Gallery Lighting Project.
- Showcase: Curators’ goal is to select one (1) photo from each entrant for the show. We cannot guarantee inclusion by all entrants.
- Printing/Mounting: The curators and the Harvey Milk Photo Center will handle and manage printing (covered by the entry fee).
- All work must be the original work of the submitter.
- Only members of the San Francisco Street Photography Group as of February 25, 2018, are eligible.
- Images must conform to parameters defined in the SFSP group rules, in addition to the following:
- No photos of participants in scheduled or defined events.
- File Guidelines: minimum of 3000px on longest side, 300ppi in JPG format.
- File Naming Format: “last name_first name_image title” (e.g. Doe_Jane_FirstStreet.jpg)
- No watermarks or borders.
- Images may not contain:
- Nudity | Profanity | Weapons | Violence | Degradation | Discrimination
- This is at a City-Owned public facility and artwork must conform to family-friendly standards.
- Taken within the County of San Francisco.
- Human(s) must be visibly present in all images considered (No architecture, landscapes, seascapes, bridgescapes, etc…).
By submitting images, you are granting us a limited, non-exclusive perpetual license that allows us to use your image – as needed – for promotional purposes and in the Playbill available at the exhibition. Note that you remain the owner, and retain full copyright, of your image.
Notification of Featured Image
Photographers whose work is selected for the exhibition will be notified by email on March 25, 2018. Final acceptance will be subject to the ability of the submission to yield a print that will meet the panel’s standard for exhibition quality.
San Francisco Street Photography Group Administrators
- RE Casper
- Denis Englander
- Mike Kirschner
- Jim Watkins
Director of the Harvey Milk Photo Center
- Dave Christensen, Director of HMPC
- Accepted works will be printed and mounted at the Harvey Milk Photo Center from the full resolution submissions.
- Curators and Harvey Milk Photo Center will manage printing.
- All costs will be covered by the entry fees.
- All exhibiting photographers should plan to attend the April 13 opening reception, from 6-8:30pm.
- Please let us know if you can’t make it.
- Artwork may be picked up (or traded) by artists, on final day of exhibit (May 12, 2018).
Post-Show Print Trades
Following the closure of the show, we will be hosting a private event for only the participants of the exhibit. From here, you will be able to discuss and trade prints with other artists from the show.
Allowed, but photographers MUST be responsible for managing their own sales and minimum sale price is $250. Net sales (after sales tax/credit card fees) will be split 70% for the artist and 30% for the Harvey Milk Photo Center.
Read all rules above before submitting… Images will be rejected that do not adhere.
Register Your Information